Research Scientist sought
Founded in 2015 and based just to the south of Edinburgh, Biotangents is a Synthetic Biology start-up Company developing DNA-based diagnostic tests to tackle infectious diseases in livestock farming. We are working to bring new products to market in 2019 that will revolutionise the way infectious diseases are detected and managed on the farm. Our employees work in an exciting, fast-paced environment with significant opportunities for professional growth as the company expands and reaches product launch. Further details are available at www.biotangents.co.uk.
We are now seeking a Research Scientist to join our growing team and be actively involved in the laboratory-based experimental development of our nucleic acid diagnostic platform. This is an exciting opportunity for the right individual to work on a range of R&D projects with the aim of optimising and commercialising a new diagnostic technology. A competitive salary will be offered.
- Working in the laboratory under the supervision of our Senior Scientist to plan, undertake and critically analyse experiments relating to:
- Genetic construct design
- Nucleic acid detection
- Protein production
- Working to rigorous standards of Quality Assurance
- Collating and presenting findings and data at internal meetings
- An Honours or Masters degree in a molecular biology-related discipline
- Experience applying practical molecular biology skills such as PCR, DNA/RNA preparation, in vitro protein synthesis and analysis
- Good attention to detail
- Dedication to quality and safety
- Ability to communicate well and work effectively in a small team.
Training will be provided. Nevertheless, the following would be desirable:
- Experience in bioinformatic methods for nucleic acid design
- Familiarity with isothermal amplification methods
- Experience in the design and preparation of constructs for in vitro transcription of RNA and purification of in vitro transcribed RNA
- A good understanding of RNA biology, biosynthesis and regulation of protein production
Applications should be submitted by email to Andy Hall-Ponselè at firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 August 2018.